Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Study Habits of a Programmer

As a programmer, I tend to connect seemingly unrelated topics with the world of computer languages. Allow me to explain:

 The world runs on logic, so if I am required to think in logical and abstract terms for my Computer Science track in college, why not apply what I'm good at to the rest of my life? For example, In order to remember the complex process of Meiosis for my Biology I class, I decided to organize my thoughts into a combination of flow control loops and conditional statements (for, if/then, while, etc.) This process may seem absurd, but why not!?

Life has rhyme and rhythm to it—there is always some sort of explanation or process to the way things play out. Is this really any different from the programming terms that I typically tend to think in (mostly Java-based)? The answer is no, they are not different. Programming requires a process to be laid out step by step in painfully detailed fashion. Computers know absolutely nothing but 1's and 0's, so the steps must be laid out for the task to be executed properly.

The only difference between the user/computer and life/human relationship is that life continues to function in is processes regardless of human understanding. We in turn, have become the dumb machines forced to read and decipher the code that life has issued to us. Thinking in code is almost natural for me, since I am faced with it many hours out of each day. It would be a waste for you to repress what you’re good at when it can help you in almost any situation. The ability to think in a logical and orderly way is never a wasted talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment